Christmas is a time for joy; for peace and kindness; for giving and sharing and for reuniting with families and friends. But most importantly, Christmas is a time to give love and celebrate God’s love. Up to this day, we are reminded of this when we hear the song popularized by Jackson 5 entitled “Give Love on Christmas Day.”
So how do you really do this? How do you show love to others? Allow us to tell you the ways:
• Give to the less fortunate. You may donate cash or in kind or better yet, pick an orphanage and throw a Christmas party for the kids. This way, they will surely feel that they are loved and that someone still cares for them.
• Visit a sick friend or relative. Christmas is the busiest time of the year. Sometimes, with all the things that we need to do like buying gifts and preparing for Noche Buena, we tend to forget those people who needs our attention and who needs some tender loving care. If you know someone who is ill or who is fighting for his/her life, go ahead and pay a visit. You will not only put a smile on his/her face but you’ll also give him/her hope that his/her health will get better soon.
• Be a volunteer for charity. Even if news about the Typhoon Yolanda has died down, there are still plenty of our fellowmen who needs help. Many organizations are still looking for volunteers on packing relief goods. Go ahead! Share your time, effort and make the typhoon victims feel the love this Christmas.
• Forgive. This is a very strong word that’s very difficult for most of us to do. This Christmas, in order to give love, we should free our minds and hearts from past hurts. So, forgive those who have wronged you. Ask the Lord to heal your heart so that you can move on and feel alive and free again.
• Join the 1000 Bearhugs Project. Give lots of hugs to the children who were displaced by conflict or disaster. If you have kids who have extra plushies that they don’t play with that often, show them how to give love this Christmas. Tell them to donate their stuffed toy to the 1000 Bearhugs Project. Make them realize how blessed they are and let them know the importance of giving and sharing. Click here to know more about his project.
• Sponsor a less fortunate family’s Noche Buena. This family may be a friend or a relative of yours or maybe just a family within your neighbourhood or community. If you know that they don’t have much food to put on their table this coming Christmas Eve, why not be their sponsor? Buy them fruits, ham and Queso de Bola. If you want to stretch it, order food and have it delivered to their house. If you’ve got a huge place, why not invite them instead to your house for Noche Buena? This is a sure fire way of giving love this holiday season.
These are just some of the ways to give love this Christmas. We know there’s more. We’re so used to giving gifts this season. Isn’t it nice to veer away from the usual and really give from the heart?